Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gone with the car...

Ladies and Gentlemen!

After a wonderful week of shows here in Atlanta at the 14th Street Playhouse, I decided to do some sightseeing today! Little did I know, I am staying right next door to the lady who wrote "Gone with the Wind." Margaret Mitchell is her name, and she lives on the corner of Peachtree and 10th Street.

My neighbor.

I decided to invite her to "Shut Up, Sweet Charlotte" since it is right around the corner and, like "Gone with the Wind" is also about a Southern mansion, but turns out she won't be seeing the show. Ever. She's like the wind. Gone.

Oh, I was so embarrassed, but I still managed to ask the lady who works there if she could put out some of my fliers. She obviously didn't want the competition... And her southern gentility virtually vanished when I asked her if Margaret Mitchell was related to Paul Mitchell.

Margaret and Paul Mitchell.

Is your hair "Gone with the Wind?" Not with Paul Mitchell's Hold Me Tight Hairspray! (I did used to work in advertising, you know...)

Turns out, Margaret Mitchell died in 1949 on the corner of Peachtree and 13th Street. She was hit by a car! She walked out into the street without looking. I walked over there, and now I know why!

Margaret Mitchell died here. I sphinx.

She was probably trying to figure out why there was a giant statue of King Tut on the corner. I was! And I was almost hit by a car, myself.

Seems odd that they have a King Tut Exhibit in an abandoned gas station in Atlanta. Memphis, maybe...

Ankh if you need a tomb-up!

Don't worry about me,
VJ

2 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

Atlanta Junior League ladies hated Ms. Mitchell. She refused to conform to their old, boring ways.

I'm super jealous. GWTW is my favorite movie ever!!

January 28, 2009 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Geoff said...

Varla you are one punny lady! Interesting neighborhood of Ms Mitchell.
(Did you ever hear back from the shoulder lady?? Inquiring minds want to know)

January 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home